Paint the Town: Pop-Art Makeup Tutorial
Yesss…Sephora has finally arrived to The Fenway (at the Van Ness on 1331 Boylston Street)! We’re celebrating with a time lapse Roy Lichtenstein-inspired comic book character makeup tutorial, just in time for Halloween party season! Take a look at the video and try your hand at the look using the step-by-step instructions below.
This stage is pretty simple. Just follow your everyday face makeup routine. Make sure to use a good foundation primer, translucent powder, and setting spray to make sure your makeup lasts all night on Halloween! And remember, don't put any product on your eyebrows or eyes yet, that's for Part Two. Here's a list of the Sephora products we used:
- Kat von D Shade and Light Contour Palette
- BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Champagne Pop
- BECCA Mineral Blush in Flowerchild (peachy pink, golden highlights)
- TOO FACED Better than Sex Mascara Mini in Black
- TOO FACED Born this Way Naturally Radiant Concealer in Light (light with golden undertones)
- Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control, Makeup Setting Spray
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder in Natural Finish
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation in 117 Y225 - Marble
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Light
- Kat von D Ink Liner in Trooper
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in American Doll (Classic Blue Red)
- Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in 32 Let It Snow (White Matte)
- Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in 39 My Boyfriend’s Jeans (Electric Blue
- Using the Kat von D Ink Liquid Eyeliner pen in the shade Trooper, create the outlines of your face to give it the 2D look.
- Next, draw a line down your nose and slightly onto the tip. Draw two more lines, one curved around the side of one of your nostrils and one along the top opening of the same nostril. Next, draw a line on each cheek, outlining underneath your cheekbones, and draw two more lines along your jawline on each side. Also add a small curved horizontal line on the contours of your chin.
- Draw two lines down the center of your neck, one line should be straight and curve out slightly to one side at the end, draw the other line almost parallel to it, but curve it inward (like a J shape).
- Outline your collarbones as well, as shown in the video.
- Fill in your eyebrows using the same eyeliner, they will look dramatic, but that’s the point! Try to make the beginning of your eyebrows slightly curved upward, to give you a "sad and concerned” look.
- To emphasize this, draw a small, curved line in between your brows to make them look furrowed, as though you are frowning.
- To create the eye look, use the same liquid liner and create a winged line on your top eyelid. Make sure to create a second wing flicking outward toward your eyebrow from the top outer corner of your eye.
- Create one more line on the top of your lid, slightly above your crease.
- Using the Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in the shade "Electric Blue," fill in the space between the crease line above your lid and the winged line to create cartoon-like blue eyeshadow.
- Next, create a winged line slightly below your bottom lash line, leave space between this line and your actual lash line.
- Add 3 to 4 lines sweeping outward along this lower-winged line, to create the look of bold lower eyelashes.
- Fill in the space between this line and your eye's water line with the Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in the shade “Let It Snow.”
- Repeat steps 7 through 12 on your other eye. After this your eyes are all done! Just use your favorite mascara to complete the look!
- Next, your mouth! First, using the eyeliner, draw two (almost) parallel lines from your nose to your Cupid’s bow. One should be mostly straight, but curve diagonally outward. The other should run parallel to it, following a J-like shape curving inward.
- Use the Kat von D Tattoo Ink Liner in the shade Trooper to outline your lips with a uniform black line.
- Use the Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in the shade “Let It Snow” again to create a small white oval on your bottom lip to create the 2D "shine" on your lips.
- Fill in the rest of your lips with the Anastasia Beverly Hills Matte Liquid Lipstick in the shade “American Doll.” Try your best not to cover the black eyeliner or white “shine” spot.
- THIS IS AN IMPORTANT TIP. Do NOT rub your lips together. Keep them separated and still until the makeup dries. It’s all waterproof and should stay put pretty well, but will still get messed up if you rub your lips together as though you’re wearing lip balm.
- Finally, following along the outlines you've created on your face, use the Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in the shade “Let It Snow” to create the white 'comic book paper' dots across your entire face and down your neck and chest. Try to follow a grid pattern as best you can, but it doesn't need to be perfect.
Congrats, you’re done! While we recommend that you don't rub your face too much once all of the makeup is dry, all of these products are very long-wearing and for the most part waterproof and will resist smudging over the course of your evening! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Be sure to enter our huge Sephora gift card giveaway over on Facebook and Instagram!