Fitness in The Fenway
You've dreamed all winter of the warm-weather roof-deck hang sessions: string lights a-twinkle, flowing pitchers of fruity cocktails and blazing barbecues. But after a few weekends of hitting up the buffet tables at these sunshiny soirees, the shorts can sometimes get a little hard to button. Well, The Fenway giveth and The Fenway taketh away. Calories that is. Whether you prefer a gym-based workout or something less traditional, The Fenway fitness community offers plenty of options to help you strike the right balance between workouts and play.
1. The Handle Bar – Spin your way to a fitter body at this indoor-cycling studio in The Fenway. Ride hard in rhythm to popular, bass-heavy jams under black lights to burn upwards of 500(!) calories a session. If you’re looking for a party with your workout, this is the spot for you. You’ll be guaranteed to smile just as much as you sweat. And you’re going to sweat. A lot. Discounts are offered for first-time riders and people of all fitness levels are encouraged to attend.
2. Rock ‘N’ Roll Yoga at The Verb – If you prefer your exercise slow and steady, the Rock ‘N’ Roll Yoga Series is back at The Verb Hotel, taking place poolside every Wednesday at 6 p.m. Zen out to your favorite rock ‘n’ roll tunes while working your way through the 75-minute vinyasa flow. You don’t have to be an experienced yogi to participate. Class is open to practitioners of all levels. Remember to bring your swimsuit for a post-yoga dip in The Verb’s pool!
3. Leap Fit Clubs – Leap knows that part of maintaining a good workout regime is also maintaining a positive outlook. To that end, they emphasize a “go-at-your-own-pace” attitude, while still providing opportunities for a truly challenging workout. At roughly 15,000 square feet, the gym is one of the largest in Boston with plenty of cardio and weight equipment to go around in addition to a unique offering of free and innovative classes, and personal training. They’ve also taken advantage of the growing Fenway music scene, hosting an hour of live music every Thursday night to make sure you’re taking care of your body AND your mind. A free 2-week membership is available for those that want to do a little window shopping before taking the leap.
4. BSC Fenway – If you’re the type of person that prizes efficiency in a workout, Boston Sports Club of Fenway offers great bang for your buck. For an affordable monthly fee, members can take advantage of a variety of cardio and weight equipment, classes, and training staff. BSC consistently offers new promotions to make joining easy and affordable, including free trial workout sessions.
5. CrossFit Fenway – Say what you will about the “cult of Crossfit,” there is no doubt that this calorie torching, weights-based, dynamic workout produces incredible results. The Fenway’s CrossFit gym is one of the best in Boston offering 50 classes per week, so you can always fit in a tire-flipping session no matter your schedule. If you want a taste of the fit life, Fenway CrossFit offers free complimentary sessions on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. and Saturdays at 12 p.m.
6. Boston Ski & Sports Club – If running is most appealing to you when you’re chasing a ball, Boston Ski & Sports Club is the home-run hit for you. They offer a variety of team sports and a weekly game schedule to keep you active AND social throughout the summer. Team sport offerings include all the traditional sports ending in “ball” as well as soccer, lacrosse and Ultimate Frisbee. Get some friends together to create your own Bad News Bears or pay a one-time fee to join a team as an individual. You can opt to pay for individual leagues as you go, or explore a year-long membership to receive special BSSC discounts.